#BookReview: The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski





Title: The Last Wish (The Witcher #1)
Format: eBook
Pages: 292
Published: 19th Aug 2010
Publisher: Gollancz
Source: Bought
Genre: Fantasy
Shelfability:  COVET

About The Book
Geralt is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent. He roams the country seeking assignments, but gradually comes to realise that while some of his quarry are unremittingly vile, vicious grotesques, others are the victims of sin, evil or simple naivety.
The Witcher series was recommended to me by a friend. I had heard of the game but didn't know it was a book series as well. I went into this not knowing what to expect, as epic fantasy is a hit or miss. So I am so glad that The Last Wish was a massive hit for me.

Set in a world full of supernatural beings and magic, Geralt The Witcher goes on many adventures. Battling vampires, beasts and witches. The Last Wish is a collection short stories that will capture your imagination. Many of the stories are retelling of classic fairy tales, e.g Beauty and the Beast and Snow White. Although they are more of a retelling of the original tale rather than the Disney version which is perfect for me as I love a darker story-line.

Usually short stories aren't my thing. They just don't have enough details to really grip me. However, all these tales intertwine with each other and you really get to know Geralt as a character with each and every tale. The author really has such a vivid imagination to have every story packed with enchanting details that can transport you into the story.

I can't wait to start the full length novels to see what's in store of Geralt and to hopefully see more of Dandelion. He was my favourite character.  He was just so charismatic. And out there. Very different to Geralt, yet the two have this great friendship. And while he was my favourite character he wasn't in my favourite story. "A Grain of Truth" which is a "Beauty and the Beast" retelling. It was wonderful, enchanting and dark! Just what I like. :)

When I was recommended this I was a little unsure just because it was short stories but I am so glad I started this series. I did originally start it as the audio book edition. And while the narrator had a very nice voice and managed to created different accents for different characters I just struggle with audio books in general. So the ebook was the perfect choice for me. It took me a while to read the full book (reading slump) but once I got around the 50% mark I devoured it all in about two days. The author really takes you on an emotional roller coaster and even hitting you in the feels at times with certain quotes that can get you on a personal level. 

If you haven't started this series yet then this is a perfect novel to get a taste of it. Go on! Give it a try. I now need the game now!!!!



Like This Post? 
Show Your Support
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.