#BookReview: Doon by Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon




Title: Doon (Doon #1)
Format: Hardback/Kindle
Pages: 399
Published: 30th Aug 2013
Publisher: Blink
Source: Bought
Genre: YA Fantasy
Shelfability:  Borrow/Acquire

About The Book
Veronica doesn't think she's going crazy. But why can't anyone else see the mysterious blond boy who keeps popping up wherever she goes? When her best friend, Mackenna, invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Veronica jumps at the opportunity to leave her complicated life behind for a few months.

But the Scottish countryside holds other plans.

Not only has the imaginary kilted boy followed her to Alloway, she and Mackenna uncover a strange set of rings and a very unnerving letter from Mackenna's great aunt—and when the girls test the instructions Aunt Gracie left behind, they find themselves transported to a land that defies explanation. Doon seems like a real-life fairy tale, complete with one prince who has eyes for Mackenna and another who looks suspiciously like the boy from Veronica's daydreams. But Doon has a dark underbelly as well. The two girls could have everything they've longed for...or they could end up breaking an enchantment and find themselves trapped in a world that has become a nightmare.


Yet again I have been in a such a weird reading mood. But a couple of weeks ago I was getting out the bath and into my tartan PJs (I love everything tartan) and this book just called to me. I was in the mood for YA Scottish read and this fit the bill. I feel a little torn on my feelings on this one though. While, I did really enjoy it and fell in love with the setting and the two main male characters, I struggled with the female characters. To me Doon is a filler read. A book that doesn't need a lot of brain power just a perfect read to get lost in. And believe me, you will.

Doon follows best friends Vee and Kenna. The plan was to spend the summer in Scotland and have a Scottish adventure. They just didn’t count on just how much of a Scottish adventure they were about to have when they are transported into Doon.   A Mysterious Scottish Kingdom, with castles and princes and a dark danger that could destroy this beautiful Kingdom and all those who live there.

First things first. I have never ever seen Brig O Doon. I know it's a musical and then turned in a movie but I have no idea if this is actually like it or not. I just know it's inspired by that. I have, of course, heard of the actual Brig O Doon that is over the River Doon in Ayr and it's a stunning place. So I fully understand the draw to the story and the setting.

As I mentioned above I really struggled with our two main characters. Vee has had a hard life growing up, her father ran out on her and her mother? Is a complete waste of space. When Vee started having visions of a kilted boy she was drawn to him. She just knew he was real. Most people would think they were losing their freaking marbles but Vee just knew. Kenna has big dreams of being an actress, she doesn't believe in anything magical until she finds herself in Doon. Her constant threatre references during the book were so annoying and the two friends always seemed to refer to each other as "best friends" like ok we get it!! They are besties. Now move on.

However, I have no issues with liking Jamie and Duncan. Swoon!!! Two Scottish Princes. Jamie is set to be future ruler of Doon, he is a lot more harder and doesn't seem to show his feelings as easily, which I understand. He has a Kingdom to look after. Duncan though, he is more down to earth and wears his heart on his sleeve. One thing I would have wanted more of, was really getting the accents right. Some words were changed to make it seem more Scottish but it could have been done so much better to really get that proper Scottish feel. I understand why they didn't because us Scots are quite hard to understand but I just think if they really wanted to make seem authentic then spelling the words how we Scots actually talk would have been just perfect.

And I have to admit Jamie? I totally picture Jamie from Outlander. I couldn't help. The name Jamie and Scottish and that's the picture in my heard. Not a bad picture to think about though eh?? Yummy Yummy. Who doesn't love a good looking Scotsman in a kilt.

The setting for Doon is just perfection. It's stunning and captivating and I guess it is what people who don't stay in Scotland would picture it to be like. Castles and green! I stay in the suburbs so it's not like that. However, go into the countryside and it's green. So so green and beautiful and Doon really captures that. There is something truly magical about Scotland (apart from the weather lol).


I highly recommend Doon if you are looking for something light and fun with a little danger thrown into the mix. Go on, who doesn't want to be drooling of a two Scottish Princes in Kilts. :)  


And just for you pleasure here are some yummy men in kilts :)






Like This Post? 
Show Your Support
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.