*Book Review* Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch

Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format:  eArc
Pages: 304
Published: 1st July 2014 (ebook)
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source:  Netgalley
Genre:  YA , Sci-Fi
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository
Description:
Perfection comes at a price.

As soon as the government passed legislation allowing humans to be genetically engineered and sold as pets, the rich and powerful rushed to own beautiful girls like Ella. Trained from birth to be graceful, demure, and above all, perfect, these “family companions” enter their masters’ homes prepared to live a life of idle luxury.

Ella is happy with her new role as playmate for a congressman’s bubbly young daughter, but she doesn’t expect Penn, the congressman’s handsome and rebellious son. He’s the only person who sees beyond the perfect exterior to the girl within. Falling for him goes against every rule she knows…and the freedom she finds with him is intoxicating.

But when Ella is kidnapped and thrust into the dark underworld lurking beneath her pampered life, she’s faced with an unthinkable choice. Because the only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn’s family is leaving…and if she’s unsuccessful, she’ll face a fate far worse than death.


"Perfected" is far from perfect but in an awesome way!! What a fantastic tale!! I was hooked from the very start. It's exciting and captivating. A real page turner but with a very serious and quite sinister story.

Ella is an genetically engineered "Pet". A girl who was born to be "graceful, demure, and above all, perfect" She is bought by a congressman for his young daughter to be a playmate. However, Ella was groomed to sit pretty and be admired by adult. She has no training in dealing with children. Or boys! All her life she has people thinking for her. Until she is brought into Congressman Kimballs home.  She never expected to love Ruby. Or find herself growing close to Penn. Ella soon finds herself inside a little bubble of pampered life until one day everything is torn apart and she is pulled into a dark underworld that could cost her everything.

The characters in "Perfected" are very well thought out. Ella, is quite naive at first only wanting to please her owners but as the story progresses Ella shines! She is a wonderful character who your heart breaks for! Penn just made my heart melt! For two reasons, one he is a musician and that I love. The second reason was because of the chemistry he had with Ella. it's develops very naturally and it's not rushed! The congressman and his wife I hated from the get go! He just gives me the creeps and when you read the story you will understand why! His wife, just got on my nerves! She redeemed herself a little throughout the story but overall I still didn't like her. Ruby, was a sweetheart. And I felt so sorry for her.

When I first read the blurb I was very intrigued. It sounded different and thrilling. I initially thought this was set in the future. However, it's set in our world. Today! Just the thought of something like this (even thought it's fiction) is set in today's time gives me a the creeps. The whole idea of experimenting on humans to make them perfect and then selling them to be "Pets" is quite sinister and sick! But fascinating as a storyline

My only issue with this story was there is no back story at all. I am not a big of fan in depth back stories anyway but the subject matter of this book was fascinating in a creepy way and it would have a good bonus for the reader. Saying that, the story itself flowed perfectly and I can not fault the authors storytelling at all. Just a small section for the back story would have been ideal.

Overall, I highly recommend "Perfected" it's exciting and thrilling with a little bit of sinister thrown into the mix along with some romance! I really hope the author is planning a sequel!!

NOTE: I struggled with my rating for this title. If I am 100% honest it's a 4.5 star but I always round up.


Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.