*Book Review* Before You (Before & After #1) by Amber Hart

Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format: e-Arc
Pages: 320
Published: 29th July 2014
Publisher: K-Teen
Source:  Netgalley
Genre: YA Contemporary
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository

Description:
Some say love is deadly. Some say love is beautiful. I say it is both.

Faith Watters spent her junior year traveling the world, studying in exquisite places, before returning to Oviedo High School. From the outside her life is picture-perfect. Captain of the dance team. Popular. Happy. Too bad it’s all a lie.

It will haunt me. It will claim me. It will shatter me. And I don't care.

Eighteen-year-old Diego Alvarez hates his new life in the States, but staying in Cuba is not an option. Covered in tattoos and scars, Diego doesn’t stand a chance of fitting in. Nor does he want to. His only concern is staying hidden from his past—a past, which if it were to surface, would cost him everything. Including his life.

At Oviedo High School, it seems that Faith Watters and Diego Alvarez do not belong together. But fate is as tricky as it is lovely. Freedom with no restraint is what they long for. What they get is something different entirely.

Love—it will ruin you and save you, both.


I had never heard of this before I came across it on Netgalley. My first thought was that is reminded of me of my favourite YA Contemporary series, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.  And if you liked those books, it's very likely you are going to love this. I know I certainly did. It was exciting and so emotional so a bit of advice have some tissues!!

Before You is about Faith Watters, the preachers daughter, a good who hides her true self from everyone and Diego Alvarez, bad boy covered in tattoos and scars who moves from Cuba to America to escape a dangerous past. Faith and Diego are completely opposites but when they meet it's fireworks! Everything is against them. Their hidden pasts and most of the people around them. Can they defy the odds and make it work? or will their pasts come back to haunt them?

Yeah, I was hooked! I was drawn in by the blurb and completely captivated by the story and the characters. The character's are seriously flawed but that makes them more realistic! At time's Faith comes across very shallow and I wanted to slap her. She made her decisions based on what others will think of her. Yes, I understood why she was like that but I wanted to seriously shake her. Her best friend Melissa was amazing!! She knew all about Faith's hidden past and why Faith worked so hard to being the "good" girl but she would tell Faith the truth even if it meant Faith would be mad her. Enter Diego! Oh Diego, he got Faith! He knew straight away she was hiding from the world! Even though he could come across like an arse deep down he was sweet and caring and truly wanted Faith to be true to herself!

The plot itself was fascinating and exciting!! I mean who doesn't love a star-crossed love story? I know I do!! I really enjoyed learning about both characters pasts and how it has shaped who they are. However, the story itself moves a little too quickly. A lot happens in a short amount of time, which for me is very unrealistic. That is my only complaint about this book!

Before You is a book that touches on a lot of issues such as drugs, gangs  and race. All three are super important to the story. And I applaud for author for tackling these tricky subjects because many authors try and fail but Amber has managed to touch each subject and gets the reader really thinking. However, I think each subject could have been developed a little more in depth.

Overall, I highly recommend Before You if you are looking for a quick and emotional read. Perfect for fans of Perfect chemistry and for anyone who loves a good quality star-crossed love story that will stay with you long after you are finished!



Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.