The Taker: An Immortal Love Story by Alma Katsu

Pages: 436
Published: April 14th 2011
Publisher: Century
Genre: Adult Fantasy, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy

Description:
When A & E doctor Luke Findley turns up to his shift at his hospital job in the small town of St Andrews, Maine, he’s expecting just another evening of minor injuries and domestic disputes. But instead, Lanore McIvrae walks into his life- and changes it forever. For Lanore – Lanny – is a woman with a past …

Review:
First I was to say just a little bit about the book cover. So everyone is always saying "Dont judge a book by its cover". However, honestly it usually the cover that makes you pick up the book to start with. If the cover catches your eye you will pick up the book. Most people deny that they judge a book by its cover but we are all guilty of it at some. And this cover is one that would catch your eyes in book store. Its looks really pretty in the picture. However it is simply WOW in person. It just gorgeous. A beautiful design that is enchanting. The design is all embosed and just perfect. And as a bonus it has black edged paper. As I said its just WOW

Now. The Taker  is one of those story that grips you from the first chapter. Alma has created a wonder dark and enchanted tale of love and obsession and mixed it with a memorizing story that it very brutal at times.

The story line is just wonderful. The story follows Lanny, a woman who has had a hard life and when she appears into Dr. Luke's life everything changes for him, as this beautiful woman tells him her story of her life. As we read about Lanny's past we are introduced to so many colourful characters. Lanny herself is actually rather easy for me to connect with it. She is selfish at times and her love for Jonathan (the man she loved in her past) is a borderline dangerous obsession for her. However, she is tough and wise and survives through all her tough times. We don't really here alot of Luke as this is mainly a story of Lanny's past. He was likeable although I sometimes didn't want to come back from the past as it was just so mesmerizing.

The Taker had me shocked at times and smiling at times. And the twist in the plot was a real shock to me. Usually I can figure out a plot really quick. However, I never knew what was coming next for Lanny and the biggest twist had me gasping with shock. I mean proper mouth opened just staring like OMG.

What I truely loved about this was that in most books its all happily ever afters. However, this is a more realistic ending to the story and I loved it.  It truely was the most perfect ending. Also there is not a vampire in sight. I am vampire crazy and this is a nice change to my usual reads.

If you are looking for a fantastic story that will have you hooked straight away and that it bound to be a bestseller then please as soon as this book is out buy you will not be disappointment.

Finally just a quick thank you to the publisher for giving me a copy for review. I have never been more grateful for a book as now this is one of my favourite reads and looking forward to more of Alma Katsu's novels.

Rate: 5/5
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket



Alma's Website: almakatsu.com
Pre-Order Your Copy Now!!


6 comments :

  1. I am so jealous! I can't wait to get my hands on this book. The cover is amazing and thanks for the review I've been wanting to read this ever since I heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is wonderful. If you havent preorder it do so now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh....another awesome review of this one, I hope I can order it from Book Depository tomorrow...I would hate to have to wait until September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vampires and Tofu. Hope you got the book. Hope you enjoy. I am so glad I got it early. =) Recommend this book to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey i saw this in my local Asda & it was the cover that grabbed my attention oh & the black edge pages. I wasn't sure if it was a book i'd enjoy
    but after reading your review (which i trust as you're frank, honest & reliable) it is now on my to buy list along with countless others.

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jezzy if there is one book i recommend as a must read of 2011 is this. So amazing!!! If you are on our facebook page stay tuned in June this book may make an appearance in a giveaway for the facebook pages 1st birthday

    ReplyDelete

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.