#BookReview: The Witch's Kiss by Katharine & Elizabeth Corr

Receiving books free in exchange for reviews will never sway the outcome of my reviews. All my reviews are own my personal thoughts and opinions whether they for review or bought. While I may feel a certain way, others may feel differently. So sit back and relax and check out my thoughts on this book. Don't forget to share your thoughts (no spoilers) on the books or reviews on this blog in comments.
Title: The Witch's Kiss (The Witch's Kiss #1)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 424
Published: 30th June 2016
Publisher: Harpercollins
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Shelfability: Borrow/Acquire
Can true love’s kiss save the day…?

Electrifying dark magic debut by authors and sisters, Katharine and Elizabeth Corr.

Sixteeen-year-old Meredith is fed-up with her feuding family and feeling invisible at school – not to mention the witch magic that shoots out of her fingernails when she’s stressed. Then sweet, sensitive Jack comes into her life and she falls for him hard. The only problem is that he is periodically possessed by a destructive centuries-old curse.

Meredith has lost her heart, but will she also lose her life? Or in true fairytale tradition, can true love’s kiss save the day?
I grabbed this trilogy when The Works had them on offer for £6. I was intrigued by the covers because they are stunning. The thrones, the blood, the tag line? I was sucked in. I knew I needed them. I had real high hopes based solely on the first glance and maybe the old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" came into play. The Witch's Kiss is a OK read. However, it just didn't grip me. It took me over a month to finish the book which is a long time even for me. I wanted to really love it but it was just missing the WOW factor.

I usually really love a good witch read but I actually found a lot of this slightly boring. Merry is a sixteen year old witch. She has been trying to not use her magic after an "incident" that we don't find out until a good bit into the story. She is a little selfish and irritating but I have to remember she is only 16. When it's revealed that there is a curse/destiny on her, she doesn't want anything to do with at first.  It was passed down through her witch ancestors.  Which I have to admit I don't think I would want that either. She is untrained and her magic is very powerful and dangerous. However, the bond she has with her brother Leo helps her through it. He is always there for her and ready help.

As I mentioned it was the cover and that tag line that had got my attention. "Some fairytales are darker than others...." This one line got me way too excited! I love dark story. The darker the story the more I will enjoy. This has so much potential to be a truly dark tale. And in a way it was. The story has flashbacks that explains the "curse" more. It was these flashbacks that had kept me reading. In the flashbacks we see Gwydion and how he can control Jack.  This is what I wanted more of. And I don't know if it's just my old cynical age but I actually connected with evil Gwydion than any other character. 

This is just a short review because I feel like if I talk about too much I will end up giving spoilers and quite simply I just really struggled to write this one at all. If you are looking for a witchy read then give it a try. There are so many amazing reviews on this title it was just sadly not as amazing as I hoped it would. Although, I will read the next one because I am curious to see what happens next. Hopefully it will get darker with each book.   




Like This Post? 
Show Your Support
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.