#BookReview: The Sisters of the Winter Wood by Rena Rossner

Receiving books free in exchange for reviews will never sway the outcome of my reviews. All my reviews are own my personal thoughts and opinions whether they for review or bought. While I may feel a certain way, others may feel differently. So sit back and relax and check out my thoughts on this book. Don't forget to share your thoughts (no spoilers) on the books or reviews on this blog in comments.
Title: The Sisters of the Winter Wood
Format: Hardback
Pages: 464
Published: 27th Sept 2018
Publisher: Orbit
Source: Publisher
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Magical Realism
Shelfability: Acquire/Covet
A magical tale of secrets, family ties and fairy tales weaving through history.

Raised in a small village surrounded by vast forests, Liba and Laya have lived a peaceful sheltered life - even if they've heard of troubling times for Jews elsewhere. When their parents travel to visit their dying grandfather, the sisters are left behind in their home in the woods.

But before they leave, Liba discovers the secret that their Tati can transform into a bear, and their Mami into a swan. Perhaps, Liba realizes, the old fairy tales are true. She must guard this secret carefully, even from her beloved sister.

Soon a troupe of mysterious men appear in town and Laya falls under their spell-despite their mother's warning to be wary of strangers. And these are not the only dangers lurking in the woods...

The sisters will need each other if they are to become the women they need to be - and save their people from the dark forces that draw closer.

Captivating and boldly imaginative, with a tale of sisterhood at its heart, Rena Rossner's debut invites you to enter a world filled with magic, folklore and the dangers of the woods
The Sisters of the Winter Wood came through my door as a complete surprise and I gushed over the pretty cover. I ooohed and aaahed over it.  I am a sucker for a nice looking cover. The details are beautiful and eye catching. And it really captures the essence of the story. Did I mention it was shiny?!?!?!? Well...it's shiny!!!! However, you don't want to read about the cover right? You want to know if they book was as good as the cover. And the simple answer is, YES!

The Sisters of the Winter Wood is unique and so beautifully written. I felt like I was transported right into the story. I went into this with no background knowledge at all. I only knew it was a retelling of a poem called "The Goblin Market" written by Christina Rossetti which I have never read so I may need to look that up aswell.

The author draws on her Jewish heritage and Incorporated that into her own verison of "The Goblin Market" story. As well as using Russian and Ukrainian  folklore which was all new to me. So I was completely fascinated by it all. But only issue was not understanding a lot of the words and phrases so I had to keep stopping and going to the glossary at the back of the book to get the meaning. For me that ruined the flow a little.

The story is written from both Liba and Laya point of views and just like two sisters who are so different, their voices are written very differently. Liba is someone who I think we don't get enough of in YA books. She is a curvy girl! I don't think there is enough curvy main characters so I applaud the author. I am a curvy lass myself so I was like "YASS". Laya is the complete opposite to her sister. To me there is something so "otherworldly" about her. I was enthralled by her and I think that is because of the way the author has written Laya. I loved both sisters. I loved the details in Liba's chapters but I also loved the simplicity in Laya's. I could go on forever about it but I don't want to say too much. There just needs to be some surprise right?

The Sisters of the Winter Wood is one the best books I have read in 2018 so far. It is magical, enchanting, exciting with a little danger with the bond of sisterhood running through it's core.

Like This Post? 
Show Your Support
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.