#BookReview: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Harry Potter #8)
Format: Hardback
Pages: 352
Published: 31st July 2016
Publisher: Little Brown UK
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Shelfability: Covet

About The Book
Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.




OK, Breathe! Relax/ I can do this. Right? How do I even begin to review this? Can someone help me? How do I convey my feeling over this without giving away any spoilers. I don't know if I can. I will try my best. I wasn't sure if I was even going to review this one but I feel like I have to at least just try and explains my feelings so here goes! 

When I first heard that there would be another Harry Potter story in the form of play I was kind of gutted because I knew I was never going to get to see it. And then they announced that they would be releasing the play script as a book and as many other Harry Potter fans around the world I was ecstatic. I mean jumping-up-and-down-and-screaming-with-excitment happy. I never thought I would get to have the anticipation of waiting on new Harry Potter story again so when this little beaut was delivered I couldn't contain myself. I dropped everything and started reading it straight away. And devoured it in a couple of hours.


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is set 19 years after the last book. It takes off from the last chapter in Deathly Hallows as we see Albus (Harry and Ginny's  youngest son) about to start Hogwarts. Albus struggles to deal with the legacy of Harry Potter and trying to be the son of the famous Harry Potter is not what it's cracked up to be. I am not going to into any details about the story. I feel like even the slightest explanation will give away spoilers and you will just have to read this for yourself to find out what happens between Harry and his son Albus.

I went into this with high hopes. And JK Rowling did not disappoint. Yes, I so wish this was a proper novel because it's Harry Freaking Potter. But getting to read this play was out of this world. I am so glad they decided to release it as a book so fans could read it. I have never willingly read a play (high school english does not count) I have just never been interested in them. So of course even though I was so excited I was nervous that I wasn't going to get the magical Harry Potter feeling when reading this because we weren't going to get the details that the novels have. I am so relieved that it blew my mind. I was engrossed from the first line right up until last. I couldn't put it down.


The plot of The Cursed Child really captures the very essence of the original Harry Potter stories. Seeing the trio as adults with children and dealing with every day tasks of work and family life was extraordinary. But of course with it being set in this world it's never going to plain sailing. The relationship between Harry and Albus is strained. I found that Albus was a great character. I loved how JK Rowling has took this character and instead of making him what everyone was expecting, to be to like his father. She throws in a curve ball and he is such a fantastic character. I also loved the friendship between him and Scorpius. He was not was I was expecting at all and I love him.

ALBUS: How to distract Scorpius from difficult emotional issues. Take him to a library. Check out these other amazing quotes: Hypable

As everyone knows Ron is without a doubt my favourite character in the Harry Potter world. I am so glad that even though he is older in this one he is still hasn't changed much. He is still silly and making jokes and just a breath of fresh air. I want a Ron in my life. The trio are simply fantastic. I still have the actors in my head when reading this one and seeing them as adults and see the love they have for their children is so strong. Harry as a father is really something else. Sometimes I didn't agree with him and I was actually angry at him but all he wants is to protect his children.



Now, The Cursed Child took me such an emotional roller coaster ride. I knew I was going to get emotional. I did. However, I was not prepared for just how badly this hits you. The feels man! The Feels. I only made it page nine and the lump in my throat formed. The tears welled up in my eyes. It hit me so bloody hard  that I had stopped for a few minutes then go back to the book. And then by the end of this wonderful story I was a complete wreck. I broke down in tears. I forgot just how much I was in love this world and the characters, that my emotions just took over and left me distraught

Favourite Quote
Harry: Albus Severus, you were named after two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin, and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.
.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was in my opinion outstanding. I have seen many reviews saying it read like a fanfiction..... I have never read fanfic so I wouldn't know. I personally felt like this story was perfect. Yes, it's a play script. So it's over quicker and it's not as detailed but I fell in love all over again. I felt like I was child again getting to read this magical world all over again. I am the original Harry Potter generation and I felt like I was home. Seeing hogwarts again and reading about my favourite characters again and seeing their kids going on risky adventures brought all those feelings back from childhood.


This installment was phenomenal. I think for any true Harry Potter fan this is a must read. While some reviews are mixed the majority are glowing and most people are in love with it. I am jealous of everyone who gets to see this come alive on stage and I can only pray and beg to wizarding gods that maybe just maybe they will film the play at some point and release it on DVD for the rest of the Harry Potter world to get to see it. I would be good money to see it. The story is brilliant. It's wonderful, magical, emotional and it has some pretty funny one liners.  

After I finished reading this as I mentioned I was a wreck. I think it was because it was just wonderful and heartfelt story coupled with the fact that I had read that JK Rowling is "Done with Harry Potter" I will never be ready to say goodbye to these characters who I grew up. And yes, I know. They aren't real. That doesn't stop me feeling attached to these characters and this world that JK Rowling has created. A world where we can all get lost in. Forget everything bad in the world but just focus on the place that secretly I think we all wish was real. Maybe she will write more in this world perhaps about the trio's kids. Making way for the next generations of Potters and Granger-Weasleys but I will never be ready to let this world go. It will live on for generations to come. Always!

Like this post? 
Show your support 
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.