#BookReview: Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez

Title: Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is #1)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 190
Published: 1st Sept 2008
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Mystery
Shelfability: Borrow

About The Book
Welcome to Nightshade, California—a small town full of secrets. It’s home to the pyschic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom-shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case!

Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can’t help but suspect head cheerleader Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new “look.” Samantha appears a little . . . well, dead, and all the most popular kids at school are copying her style.

Is looking dead just another fashion trend for Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on? To find out, Daisy joins the cheerleading squad.


I have had this book sitting on my shelves for a while. I was needing something a little different to read so decided to pick this up because I thought it sounded fun and unique. And while it was an enjoyable read I found the story lacking and a tad immature if I am completely honest. 

Dead is the New Black follows Daisy. A teenager who comes from a family of psychics. However, she is a "norm"  I didn't really connect with Daisy and I found her character to be a little shallow and self centered! Her relationship with Ryan felt completely forced and just didn't fit with the story. They just weren't right together. I actually found most of the characters to be very one dimensional. 

The plot itself was enjoyable. I liked the twist of the vampires and the mystery trying to figure who the vampire was. It was a very fast paced and it did keep me entertained. However, it didn't take a lot of brain power. I know I am older than the target audience. This is meant to be a YA and everyone knows that YA is my favourite genre to read. But Dead is the New Black just seems very immature compared to most of the YA novels that I do read. 

This is just a mini review and I think if you are looking for something that it light to read then give it a try because there are so many people who love this series and I do hope you enjoy it. Sadly, it just wasn't for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.