#BookReview: The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke

Title:The Lost and the Found
Format:Kindle Ebook
Pages:448
Published: 2nd July 2015
Publisher: Quercus Children's Books
Source:Bought
Genre:YA Thriller, Mystery
Shelfability: Acquire
About The Book
LOST. 

When six-year-old Laurel Logan was abducted, the only witness was her younger sister. Faith's childhood was dominated by Laurel's disappearance - from her parents' broken marriage and the constant media attention to dealing with so-called friends who only ever wanted to talk about her sister. 

FOUND. 

Thirteen years later, a young woman is found in the garden of the Logans' old house, disorientated and clutching the teddy bear Laurel was last seen with. Laurel is home at last, safe and sound. Faith always dreamed of getting her sister back, without ever truly believing it would happen. But a disturbing series of events leaves Faith increasingly isolated and paranoid, and before long she begins to wonder if everything that's lost can be found again...


Opening Line:  "She knows, she definitely knows."

I bought this on a whim, mainly due to the fact it was only 99p on kindle. However, after reading the blurb I was intrigued. I have never read a book by Cat Clarke before and I don't know why but it sure won't be my last. The Lost and the Found was a really good mystery/thriller read. It was a little bit of a slow burner for me but once I got into the story I really thought it was wonderful and emotional. 

Six year old Laurel is kidnapped from her garden. Her little sister Faith is the only witness. Faith never got to have a normal childhood because of this tragic incident. However, thirteen years later Laurel comes home and Faith wonders if they can really be family again? And is everything really as it seems? 

As I mentioned above I did find this to be a slow burner. It took me a few chapters to really get into the swing of the story. That may be because this isn't my usual type of novel. However, once I got into it, I devoured it. Another of one of those staying up until nearly 3am type of reads. I found myself really invested in these characters lives and needing to more about Laurel. I liked the chemistry between Faith and Laurel even though at times it felt forced but given the context of this story it felt right. 

The way the author tells this story really feels like a teenager is writing it. You get right into the characters mindset. You can feel for them and understand the emotional turmoil purely from the authors writing style. Not many authors can do that. You can tell it's an "adult" writing from a teenager's point of view. However, with Cat she really has a special voice. If her other novels are written like this I will be checking them out soon. 

My only downside of this story was I found it just a little bit predictable. I was hoping for a story filled with mystery and suspense but I sort figured everything out from early on. Although, saying that I still found myself enjoying the story. And there is one part (I won't say where and I won't say what) that broke me! I was sobbing mess. I actually gasped and then broke down into a tearful-snot-filled mess.

I do recommend this one. It's a really good YA story with a hint of mystery. And why not go grab it quick while it is still only 99p from the kindle store, the link is at the top of this review. 

Favourite Quote: Guilt is never faraway in this house. It lurks under the floorboards and behind the walls. You can hear it whispering late at night if you listen closely.

Like this post? 
Show your support 
Like / Comment / Share

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.