#BookReview: I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl by Gretchen McNeil

Title: I'm not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl 
Format: e-Arc
Pages: 352
Published: 18th Oct 2016
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Edelweiss 
Genre: YA Contemporary, Comedy 
Shelfability: Borrow
Buy:  Amazon UK / Amazon US

**About The Book**
Beatrice Maria Estrella Giovannini has life all figured out. She's starting senior year at the top of her class, she’s a shoo-in for a scholarship to M.I.T., and she’s got a new boyfriend she’s crazy about. The only problem: All through high school Bea and her best friends Spencer and Gabe have been the targets of horrific bullying.

So Bea uses her math skills to come up with The Formula, a 100% mathematically-guaranteed path to social happiness in high school. Now Gabe is on his way to becoming Student Body President, and Spencer is finally getting his art noticed. But when her boyfriend dumps her for Toile, the quirky new girl at school, Bea realizes it's time to use The Formula for herself. She'll be reinvented as the eccentric and lovable Trixie—a quintessential manic pixie dream girl—in order to win her boyfriend back and beat new-girl Toile at her own game.

Unfortunately, being a manic pixie dream girl isn't all it's cracked up to be, and “Trixie” is causing unexpected consequences for her friends. As The Formula begins to break down, can Bea find a way to reclaim her true identity, and fix everything she's messed up? Or will the casualties of her manic pixie experiment go far deeper than she could possibly imagine?

When I first heard of this book I was intrigued.  The title catch my eye straight away. I love the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Having only seen the characters in films I was excited to see how the author was going take that type of character and make her come alive on paper.  However, while I thought the book was a quick read and funny in parts, it was way to immature for my personal taste.  

Now, I know I'm way older than a teen but most YA books I still enjoy but this one just came across like it was for the younger end of the YA market.  I felt like it was written in a very childish manner with a few swear words thrown in to make it seem more "grown up". 

The plot itself was it had so much potential to be truly amazing but for me it just seems to fall flat in the execution of it.  The story centres around three best friends; Bea, Spencer and Gabe. They are social outcasts in school and when new girl Toile becomes more popular on her first day, Bea decides that senior year is going to be different.  I like the dynamic between the trio.  I thought they had strong bond. However, I thought that Bea comes across as very selfish and immature. Even though she was meant to be senior in high school. Spencer and Gabe are a bit more likable but they seem to just go along with Bea's ideas. And I one point I just want to slap them because their best friend was a little bit of a bitch.

My review is coming across very negative and I am sorry for that. I always give my honest opinion but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.  There are more good reviews for this title than not good.  I did enjoy some of it though. I thought there was some funny bits in it and some great one liners. It isn't like your typical high school read and a really quick and light read.  So if you like a quick and quirky read this give it a try and let me know what thought!!


Don't forget to "LIKE", "COMMENT" and "SHARE" if you enjoyed this post!

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.