#MovieMonday: Hairspray Live! (TV Movie 2016)


Movie Monday* is where I will share my thoughts on a movie I have seen in the past week. Please note that I am NOT a movie reviewer. I "review" a movie like I would a book. Just telling you how I feel about the movie. I hope you enjoy.

*I take NO credit for the title, as after I searched it I noticed it was already taken.


Movie: Hairspray Live!
Cert: PG
Release: 7th Dec 2016
Genre:  Musicial, Family, Comedy
Writers: Harvey Fierstein (teleplay by), Thomas Meehan (book) | 2 more credits »
Rating: 3 out of 5

About The Movie:
Based on the Tony and Grammy Award-winning Broadway musical, Hairspray LIVE! takes place in 1962 Baltimore. Plump teenager Tracy Turnblad's dream is to dance on “The Corny Collins Show,” a local TV program. When against all odds Tracy wins a role on the show, she becomes a celebrity overnight and meets a colorful array of characters, including the resident dreamboat, Link; the ambitious mean girl, Amber; an African American boy she meets in detention, Seaweed; and his mother, Motormouth Maybelle, the owner of a local record store. Tracy's mother is the indomitable Edna, and she eventually encourages Tracy on her campaign to integrate the all-white “Corny Collins Show.”




Why didn't I even know about this until someone posted on facebook after they had seen it?? I love Hairspray. I remember enjoying the original film but I remember absolutely loving the remake!!! Yeah I said I loved that version better. I have never seen the musical live so I can't really compare this to the stage show only the movie.

Hairspray is one of those really feel good musical with a really strong message. Set in 1960s Baltimore all Tracy wants to do is dance on the Corny Collins Show. But what seems like a fun thing turns into something much more important. Tracy wants to make the Corny Collins Show integrated.


As much as I have always said I love the 50s and 60s. I love the music, I love the clothes. However, it must have such a hard time to live if you weren't white. Hairspray takes this issues and turns into a hopeful musical that it's full bright characters and catchy tunes.


I think I compared it to the movie too much. Just because I loved the remake movie casting so much. However, the casting for this did a great job. This is Maddie's (Tracy) break out role and I feel she really done well. She is a very nice singing voice and really captured the essence of Tracy Turnblad. I wasn't keen on the casting of her parents though. And I'm sorry the dude playing Link? Nope. Just nope. He was no Zac Efron. I did however, really like Jennifer Hudson as Motormouth Maybelle. That woman has some set of pipes on her. She is looking fantastic!!!

Now, I will admit that Ariana Grande is a little annoying. The girl has an amazing voice yet in her normal singing she just doesn't enunciate her words and just mumbles. So even though she doesn't get a lot of screen time, when she sings you can make out every word and she also has an important role with it comes to get co star Seaweed.


I did notice a big different between the live show and the remake and it involved little Inez, Seaweeds sister. Now I don't know if the stage show is different to movie version so I am not sure if this live show is following the proper storyline or if the remake movie did. But all I will say is I much prefer how the movie ended to this one. 


Overall, Hairspray Live is an enjoy watch. Although I wasn't a fan of the cutting to the host and showing the "parties" from different places. I know it was to give the casting a breather and time to change and get ready for different scene but I just felt it ruined the flow and it's why I am not the biggest fan of these live musicals on TV. However, if you already know and love the show/movies then you will be singing and dancing along with it like I was!!! 



No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.