#MovieReview: Basil, The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

Movie: Basil, The Great Mouse Detective
Cert: U  (UK)
Release:  10th Oct 1986(UK)
Genre: Animation, Family, Adventure
Directors: | 3 more credits »
Writers:   | 11 more credits »
My Rating: 4 out of 5 
About The Movie
Sherlock Holmes' mouse counterpart Basil lives in the basement of 221B Baker Street, just below the great man himself. Hired to locate a kidnapped toymaker, Basil and his trusty sidekick Dawson soon find themselves up against their arch-enemy Professor Ratigan. It seems Ratigan wants to use the toymaker to make a mechanical replica of the Queen who will then bestow the villain with the right to rule over rodent London - but not if Basil can find a way to stop him.
I haven't seen this since I was a child. So of course when I noticed it was on TV, I just had to watch it again. And I was ashamed when my kid, who is nine told me he hadn't seen it before. I was in shock. How I managed to let this little gem slip by us I have no idea. But shame on me that I did. Thankfully it was on and he watch it and really enjoyed it. 


Basil The Great Mouse Detective is an oldie but goodie. It's one of those Disney movies that flies under the radar. It's based on Sherlock Holmes and based on the book, Basil of Baker Street. Which I only just found that out. I had no idea that it was a book. 

The story is about Basil and his side kick Dawson, as they set about saving a toymaker and stopping the evil Ratigan who is planning to kidnap the Queen to make sure he rules London. The plot is delightful. Full of suspense and action to keep the kids entertained. It's a classic battle of good and evil but who will win?? 


I must have been about 4 or 5 when I first seen this. I remember getting it out the video store and my parents ended up buying it for me because I loved it. I love Disney. And this is just such an underrated movie. I have to admit that while I loved the story and characters. I hated Ratigan. Which is the point right?  He is sooooo evil and horrible that you just want him to get his just desserts. He is also a tad scary so maybe younger kid might be a little frightened of him. I know I was. 


If you love Disney and are a Sherlock Holmes fan then this a must watch. It can be enjoyed by young and old and the battle of good and evil never fails to capture an audience. This is just a short and sweet review. And the movie really doesn't get the attention that truly deserves. There are more "popular" Disney movies that are just awful but for some reason this one has fallen under the radar and hopefully more people will look up this movie because it is fantastic.


No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.