*Book Review* Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik.


Title: Sofia Khan Is Not Obliged 
Format: Arc Paperback
Pages: 400
Published: 3rd Sept 2015
Publisher: Twenty7
Source: Publisher for Review
Genre: Romantic Comedy, Contemporary 
Shelfability: Covet
**About The Book**
'Brilliant idea! Excellent! Muslim dating? Well, I had no idea you were allowed to date.' Then he leaned towards me and looked at me sympathetically. 'Are your parents quite disappointed?'

Unlucky in love once again after her sort-of-boyfriend/possible-marriage-partner-to-be proves a little too close to his parents, Sofia Khan is ready to renounce men for good. Or at least she was, until her boss persuades her to write a tell-all expose about the Muslim dating scene.

As her woes become her work, Sofia must lean on the support of her brilliant friends, baffled colleagues and baffling parents as she seeks stories for her book. But in amongst the marriage-crazy relatives, racist tube passengers and polygamy-inclined friends, could there be a lingering possibility that she might just be falling in love . . . ?

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged is the hilarious and fresh debut novel by Ayisha Malik.



When I was contacted to review this title, I was a little nervous. I am not one to usually jump into a romantic comedy read but this sounded different. And I am so glad I read it because it's funny, fast paced and gives the reader an insight into the day to day life of a single Muslim woman living in the UK. 

Sofia Khan is a single. She works at a book publisher and when her boss assigns her the job of writing a book about Muslim dating, Sofia is forced to deal with her lack of love life. Trying to write a witty book as well as being true to herself. And finding love in the most unexpected places. 

What a fantastic and fun read this was. I was hooked from page one and feel in love with the characters. Sofia is just so funny and her one liners had be in stitches. She is so down to earth and likable. The way the story is told I felt like you could really connect with the character because it's wrote as blog/diary entries so everything is from Sofia's point of view and a very unique way to tell the story. As I haven't read many books like that. 

Even though this is a romantic comedy and it is a nice light hearted read. It still manages to teach the readers what it is like to be a Muslim woman and the day to day live of a Muslim family who are really close. Her dad is my favourite. He is just so funny. However, there is another side. There are times in the story that will make you cry. My heart actually broke at one point and I had to put the book down to stop myself crying. And then there was a feeling of anger. Racism is touch upon on this book.  Now, this is something that really makes my blood boil. I felt a personal connection because my son, who is only 8 has had to deal with people calling him names because of his skin colour. So at one point I could feel Sofia's anger like it was my own. 

I highly recommend you giving this a try if you are looking for something a little bit different with plenty of laugh out loud moments. I am really excited to read more of the authors work in the future. 

 
 

If you like this post don't forget to give us a "Like"

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.