*Book Review* The Jewel (The Lone City #1) by Amy Ewing

Reviewed By: Siobhán 
Format: eArc
Pages: 368
Published: 2nd Sept 2014
Publisher:  Walker Books LTD
Source:  Edelweiss
Genre:  YA, Dystopia
Shelfability: Acquire

Description:
""Today is my last day as Violet Lasting. Tomorrow I become Lot 197."

The Jewel is a shocking and compelling new YA series from debut author, Amy Ewing.

Sold for six million diamantes, Violet is now Surrogate of the House of the Lake in the centre of the Lone City, the Jewel. Her sole purpose is to produce a healthy heir for the Duchess – a woman Violet fears and despises.

Violet is trapped in a living death, her name and body no longer her own. She fights to hold on to her own identity and sanity, uncertain of the fate of her friends, isolated and at the mercy of the Duchess.

The Handmaid's Tale meets The Other Boleyn Girl in a world where beauty and brutality collide.
"
- Goodreads

The Jewel has been waiting on my Kindle for quite a while to read. I don't know why. When I first seen it up for review I knew I wanted to read it and that I would enjoy it. However, I just didn't read it straight away. And I am kicking myself! The Jewel is a very interesting and fast paced read that had me hooked and left me begging for more.

The Jewel is such an intriguing story. Violet has been in training since a young age to be a surrogate for one of the Royals in The Jewel because they can't have healthy children themselves. Young girls mostly from the poorer areas of the city have the gene to be able to produce healthy children for the royals. Some girls see it as a privilege but not Voilet. She would give anything to be with her family. When the Duchess of the Lake wins her in an auction she is pulled into a world of cruelty and danger and of forbidden love and secrets when she meets the very handsome royal companion Alex.

When I first started reading The Jewel I knew it was going to be a good read. I just had a feeling about it. And I was right. I was drawn into the strange world that was dark and twisted and I loved it. I am one of those people to love the dark and twisted side of the book world! I got so caught up in the story. It flows at just an easy pace that you forget everything around you.

The author has just the right balance of drama, character development and world building that it just fits but it is not perfect. At around halfway through the book we are introduced to Alex. Now I like a good romance in a book but only when it works! Violet is such an interest character and her story is mesmerising that I honestly didn't think there needed to be a romance. Especially not a freaking Instalove!! I hate InstaLove! It's not real and really brings what was an outstanding novel down to being yet another YA instalove read. I was so disappointed with this love development that it brings it down a rating for me. Alex should have be in introduced earlier in the book and had time to naturally develop a more believable love.

However, apart from that annoying Instalove I did really enjoy the book! It's not a perfect read but it's still an addictive read. It did remind of a few other books, e.g Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch and certain scene with the characters dialogue reminded me of The Hungers Games (the plot is nothing alike though)

I do recommend giving this book a try if you like your YA reads that a little bit different, dark and twisted but have a very likable main character. Now I need to wait ages for the next book and I don't know I am going to last because the ending?? OMG! The author knows how to end a book very well that just makes the suspense feel like hell waiting on book 2.

If you have read the book please share your thoughts in the comments or share you review links :)
Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.