*Guest Post* Beth Moran (Author of Making Marion)

Today we have an amazing guest post from the author of Making Marion, Beth Moran. 

Time to Read
On my journey to becoming an author, I read a lot of advice telling me to read, as much as I could.
I welcomed this as good news, since reading a ridiculous number of books summed up my entire creative writing training at that point. And now I had an excellent excuse to read even more. 

People sometimes ask me, “How do you find the time to read so much?” The truth is, I can`t imagine life without it. I need books. Like sleep, or food, or peace. One day is bearable, two leaves me itchy and restless and unsettled. I don`t think there`s ever been a day three. 

So, with two jobs, three kids, one husband and countless other commitments, how do I find time to read? Having considered how my book-heavy schedule matches up against other people, this is my conclusion:
  • I don`t iron. I never “do the ironing”. Occasionally, if wanting to wear a dress, I may spend 30 seconds flicking an iron over it first. Yes, you can tell. No, I don`t care. I once tried ironing my kid`s clothes to see if it made me a better person/woman/mum. It didn`t. It made me a grumpier one when I found the clothes in scrumpled heaps on their bedroom floors a few hours later.
  • I read for breakfast. I`m not a morning person. For decades I got up at the last possible minute, chugging down black tea while rushing around trying to get ready on time. A few years ago, sick of starting every day stressed and frantic, I reset my alarm to half an hour earlier. Now I sit for twenty minutes, eat a bagel, sip my tea and read. Something non-fiction, usually. Beautifully written. Something that reminds me of what matters, or fires me up for the day. I sometimes read too long and end up having to rush anyway. But it`s worth it. Whatever else happens that day I`ve read something, and fed my soul as well as my stomach.
  • I don`t have the internet on my phone. In those moments of nothing-time – waiting rooms, airports, coffee breaks - I don`t check my non-existent Facebook page, or the latest score, or my emails. Instead, I pull out a book and read, or a pen and paper and write. If I don`t have those things to hand I think about a story instead.
  • I don`t paint my nails or make my bed. I`ve never watched a “scripted reality TV show”. My garden is a mess and my hall and stairs have remained half-decorated for three years.

On the not-so-good side, I also have a tendency to go far too long without seeing my friends, frequently ignore the one million things on my to-do list and don`t get out into this incredible world as often as I should. 

But we all have that thing – that connects us, restores us and makes us feel at home. Safe. Like we are ourselves again. My mum gardens. My friend swims. I know someone who would keep baking even if her house was falling down around her ears. 

For me it`s stories.. No matter what else is going on, or how I`m feeling. Books are my solace, my education, my escape, my inspiration and delight. Life is busy, seasons come and go, time is precious. But despite all this, I keep reading. It`s who I am, and it`s what I do, so I choose to make the time for it.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Title: Making Marion
Series: N/A
Author: Beth Moran
Genre: Chick Lit
Publisher: Lion Fiction
Published: 20h June 2014
Goodreads: Add to Shelf

Description: Marion Miller comes to Sherwood Forest to uncover her father’s mysterious past. She is looking for somewhere to stay, but instead finds herself on the wrong side of the reception desk at the Peace and Pigs campsite. Despite her horrible shyness, she promptly lands herself a job working for the big-hearted and irrepressible Scarlett. It takes all of Marion’s determination to come out of her shell and get to grips with life on a busy campsite, where even the chickens seem determined to thwart her. Then an unfortunate incident with a runaway bike throws her into the arms of the beautiful, but deeply unimpressed, Reuben… Can Marion discover her father’s secret? And will she find peace, and perhaps even love, among the pigs?
Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.