*Book Review* The Borrowers by Mary Norton

Reviewed By: Siobhán
Format: Paperback
Pages: 224
Published: 3rd July 2014 (Re-issued)
Publisher: Puffin Classic
Source: Publisher for Review
Genre: Children's Classic, Adventure
Shelfability: Covet
Buy: Amazon UK I Amazon US I Book Depository

Description:
A Puffin Book - stories that last a lifetime.

Puffin Modern Classics are relaunched under a new logo: A Puffin Book. There are 20 titles to collect in the series, listed below, all with exciting new covers and fun-filled endnotes.

The Borrowers live in the secret places of quiet old houses; behind the mantelpiece, inside the harpsichord, under the kitchen clock. They own nothing, borrow everything, and think that human beings were invented just to do the dirty work. Arrietty's father, Pod, was an expert Borrower. He could scale curtains using a hatpin, and bring back a doll's teacup without breaking it. Girls weren't supposed to go borrowing but as Arrietty was an only child her father broke the rule, and then something happened which changed their lives. She made friends with the human boy living in the house... - Amazon.co.uk


What a wonderful and delightful tale! Who hasn't heard of the borrowers? Between the books, T.V show and movie it has been a much loved family adventure for years! So I was thrilled to be able to get a chance to read The Borrowers again.

I first fell in love with the story when I was a child. I was only 5 or 6  when the BBC first aired the miniseries. I was enthralled by the magical tale of tiny people who lived in houses and borrowed things. I remember reading the book when I was around 10 and now having get to re-read the book as an adult and also to my own child. It sent me straight back to my childhood.

I adored the book. It's such a fascinating story that you are drawn in straight away. I loved all the characters and my favourite was Arrietty. She isn't meant to be borrowing because Girls don't do that. However, she has to because she is an only child. I think she is quite independent and feisty and children reading this I think will really like her.

My son who is 7 really enjoyed it as well.  We read it together and he was hooked. The author's writing just has a way to capture the imaginations of young and old. It is a timeless classic that will be enjoyed for generations to come. 


Like Totally Bookalicious??
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.