Movie Night: Little Ashes

Movie: Little Ashes
Cert: 15
Release: 7th Oct 2008 (UK)
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance
Director: Paul Morrison
Staring:   Robert Pattinson, Javier Beltrán
My IMDB Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆ 8/10

Description:
In 1922, Madrid is wavering on the edge of change as traditional values are challenged by the dangerous new influences of Jazz, Freud and the avant-garde. Salvador Dali arrives at the university; 18 years old and determined to become a great artist. His bizarre blend of shyness and rampant exhibitionism attracts the attention of two of the university's social elite - Federico Garcia Lorca and Luis Bunel. Salvador is absorbed into their decadent group and for a time Salvador, Luis and Federico become a formidable trio, the most ultra-modern group in Madrid. However as time passes, Salvador feels and increasingly strong pull towards the charismatic Federico - who is himself oblivious of the attentions he is getting from his beautiful writer friends, Margarita. Finally, in the face of his friends' preoccupations - and Federico's growing renown as a poet - Luis sets off for Paris in search of his own artistic success. Federico and Salvador spend the holiday in the sea-side town of Cadaques. Both the idyllic surroundings and the warmth of the Dali family sweep Federico off his feet. Salvador and he draw closer, sharing their deepest beliefs, inspirations and secrets, convinced that they have found a kind of friendship undreamt of by others. It is more that a meeting of the minds; it is a fusion of souls. And then one night, in the phosphorescent water, it becomes something else... - Amazon



My Thoughts:
I am completely torn with my feelings for this movie. I haven't heard anything about it and it was only after I started watching it realise who it is about. Of course I have heard of Salvador Dali. I studied him a little in art class and in college but not much. All I knew what that he was a bit well...eccentric! So when I finally clicked on the movie I knew I just had to keep watching.

I have no idea what in this is fact or fiction. I am doing this based on watching a movie not looking to nitpick every detail.

Now, the start it very very slow and I really brought down my overall score. I don't mind movies that take a while to build up but this was painfully slow and doesn't really get interesting until about 30mins or so in. However, soon I was swept away within this beautiful movie.

The main focus is the relationship between Federico Garcia Lorca (Javier) and Salvador Dali (Robert). The chemistry between them is undeniable. And some of the visual just made me melt when seeing them together. The actors did an amazing job I haven't seen anything that Javier has been in before but judging by this one movie he is very talent. He is just flawless and makes the story that much more believe. Robert as Salvador, yeah I was worried. When it comes to movies with Robert in them I either love or hate them. There is no inbetween for me. However, I didn't need to worry at all. He was fantastic and capture the craziness of Salvador perfectly. Together these two actors just made the movie so romantic yet tragic. As I mentioned I don't really know what is fact or fiction especially between these two men. But whether what happened between these two happened or an idea to create a good movie, I honestly do know. All I know it is that it was amazing.

Aside from the two main characters. For me, I fell in love with the stunning  cinematography captured my heart. Aswell as the Spanish music that has always felt magical to me. I do recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for something different, eccentric, tragic and little strange! Be warned though have a tissue or two. If you are a cry at  me movies like me then you will bawl like baby. And I am now on a mission to obtain some of Federico's poetry. I am not a poetry fan but hearing some of it in the movie gave me chills and made me want to hear more!

Trying to write this without giving anything away has been really hard because it's one of those movie you need to talk about scenes and the characters in detail to really get the feel for them. However, I won't because that would contain too much spoilers. Just please give the movie a chance if you haven't already seen. Push yourself through the start it is all worth it. And if you have seen it, tell us what you though. No spoilers.

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.