The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Reviewed by Ana Lucía Arroyave


352 pages
Published September 21st 2010
Razorbill
Rate



Description:
Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

Review:
OK. I really didn't understand this book, if someone could explain it to me because I'm confused. I think this book was not for me.
It is a creepy story about childrens that are replace by unnatural replicas and they never live for long. The whole town knows about it but prefer to ignore whats happening and believe that they are their children.
The story started out really cool and I like the fact that it was narrated by a man and I found it refreshing, but then I was literally in the dark because it's never explained what Mackie -the main character- and the rest of them really were; and then the story went on and on without anything concrete happening.

But despite all that, for me, the book has a message: how you could make the difference in someones life with love. That really makes the difference in Mackie's life even when he wasn't part of the human world. His sister Emma and his friends literally saved him, accepting him as he was.
My favorite character was Roswell, Mackie's best friend. Even though he knew something was wrong with Mackie he never pressured him and was always willing to help, no mather what. But I really liked other characters: the twins -Mackie's friends- and Tate, she didn't care what the world say, and wasn't willing to remain silent as the rest of the people in Gentry; she is a tough girl.

The average ratings on this book are 3.76 so I'm not completly out of place. Judge for yourself, maybe is just me because I really ended up confused.

Ana Lucía Arroyave
First Reviewed: 17th. nov. 2010.


http://brennayovanoff.livejournal.com/

No comments :

Post a Comment

// This Pinterest Hover Button is brought to you by bloggersentral.com. // Feel free to use and share, but please keep this notice intact.